Laboratory Supervisor (Blood Bank / Transfusion Services)
Job ID #: 68720
Job Category: Lab/Medical Technology
Employment Type: Full – Time
Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posted Date: November 30, 2016
Imagine a place where you can improve lives every day — this place is Northside Hospital. Join our team of medical professionals who offer a lifetime of care. As Georgia’s Most Preferred Hospital in Overall Healthcare Services for more than 16 consecutive years, we are the fastest-growing healthcare organization in the Southeast. We currently seek dynamic, skilled people to join our team of talented, award-winning staff. If you are a qualified, committed professional and are ready to work in a compassionate and innovative team environment, Northside is the place for you. Start your journey with us today!
Northside Hospital-Atlanta provides compassionate care for all stages of life and serves as a market leader in Women’s Services, Maternity and Newborn Services, Surgery, Robotic Surgery and Cancer Care. We are proud to be voted “Atlanta’s Most Preferred Hospital for All Health Care Needs” for more than 16 years. As a 537-bed, not-for-profit, full-service community hospital, we are committed to balancing clinical excellence with compassionate care and are dedicated to providing a Lifetime of Care to our community. Join our team and start making a difference with us today!
Service Area Overview
Our progressive Clinical and Anatomic Pathology Laboratory system is staffed by a team of highly-skilled and experienced medical professionals. We are dedicated to providing quality patient care delivered with excellent customer service. Our laboratory system includes inpatient, outpatient and physician office locations and our services include Hematology, Microbiology, Automated Chemistry, Transfusion and Tissue Bank, Flow Cytometry, Hematopoietic Stem Cell and Molecular and Bio repository laboratory.
Duties and Responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned
- High volume Transfusion Services department in a 600 bed not-for-profit hospital that is known for the provision of specialized care to bone marrow transplant and neonatal ICU patient populations.
- Works with department staff to ensure that all laboratory operations are following standard operating procedures, ensuring the safety of blood products and compliance with CAP, FDA and AABB regulatory requirements.
- Perform duties in compliance with all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies. Maintain strong working knowledge and compliance to applicable CLIA regulations. Monitors staff to ensure compliance.
- Analyzes, determines, and writes procedures related to laboratory services.
- Performs validations as required and trained to perform.
- Maintain oversight of equipment, maintenance and laboratory related supplies as required.
- Develop and maintain oversight of disaster planning for internal and external processes to ensure continuation of services and alternate resources as may be required in the event of a disaster.
- Develop and implement a department that embraces customer service and understands the critical nature of compliance and meeting quality standards.
- Responsible for personnel related matters – working with the appropriate support departments for resolution.
- Research new developments and industry trends. Partner with system laboratory leadership in determining the direction of Northside Hospital as it relates to the scope of laboratory services.
- Maintain computer functions for day to day operations. This includes training of relevant personnel in related tasks involving computer operations.
- Maintain all QC records. Responsible for document control and distribution of SOP’s within the department as needed.
- Exhibits support of the NH mission, quality objectives, and customer service standards at all times.
- Attends AABB, and other blood bank related meetings to assess current methods and trends and maintain “state of the art” blood bank practices. Maintain flexibility to change as the needs of the organization, community and industry evolve.
- Responsible for development of and adherence to monthly and annual budget guidelines.
- Ensures proper timelines for internal and external communications, critical reporting functions, and regular communications to employees.
- In collaboration with Quality, plans regular audits of operational related activities to ensure compliance.
- Certification – MT(ASCP) required, SBB strongly preferred
- Minimum of 8 years experience in Transfusion Medicine with 3 of which in a leadership role
License/Certification Requirements: Yes
Work Hours: varies
Weekend Requirements: Yes
On-Call Requirements: No
Why choose Northside? Northside supports our employees’ professional and personal growth. We foster an environment that promotes work/life balance. We embrace diversity. We care about you. If you are ready to advance your career, apply online today to join Northside’s team!
Northside Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its employment practices on the basis of race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, genetic information, veteran status or military service, or any other characteristic protected by federal law or Georgia law.